Welcome to Smith's Kitchen

FOR CAKES, BAKES AND OTHER TASTY TREATS

Friday 25 February 2011

I've got one thing to say to you Kimmy, "Chocolate Ginger Cake"

Combining two of my favourite flavours and upon special  request I attempted a Chocolate Ginger Cake. Lucy (who has been freelancing in our office) left work on Thursday and like all special occasions, I mark it by baking a cake. This time upon request. There are a number of recipes for chocolate and ginger cake - but no one in particular grabbed me. I love Nigel Slater's Ginger Cake and the icing from Nigella's Choco-ginger (as well as the idea of chocolate drops from another recipe) so I set about adapting both and making my own additions. Leaving out the sultanas and adding in chopped up 70% dark chocolate (Green and Black's no less) removing a touch of the flour and replacing with cocoa - and then the most fabulous touch of all, added ginger beer to the chocolate icing. It was done. Moist, rich and a little dense but ever-so divine. We scoffed it the office like gannets. There were a couple of bits left for me and Karl at home. We popped them in the microwave for 30 seconds and topped with ice cream. OMG. I will be doing that again very soon. Recipe will be appearing on my website soon.

3 comments:

  1. It was completely divine... however, warm with ice cream...omg!
    thanks Lucy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will bake this one on request and the recipe will appear soon too

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...