Welcome to Smith's Kitchen

FOR CAKES, BAKES AND OTHER TASTY TREATS

Friday 22 June 2012

If you're ever in ...Valencia

Here is the first in a series of food and travel suggestions. Little tips and ideas of fabulous local food and treats I have discovered on my journeys around the world. Recently in Valencia, Spain's third largest city (often hiding in the shade of Barcelona and Madrid, it's a vibrant, welcoming city of contrasts - with great food.

Horchata

I had read about it in the guide book, seen it served in the streets and cafes and wanted a piece of the action for myself. Horchata is a typically Valencian drink. It is sweet, sort of ivory/caramel in colour, and has a consistency like silky milk. It's made from a plant called the "chufa", that's very similar to rice, which is only produced in a nearby town. Originally, it was a medicinal drink, but has now become a very popular soft drink that's normally served very cold. Little mobile carts, with huge silver drums are wheeled around town, usually setting up on street corners offering a take away version. I tried it and loved it. Especially as it's served so cold, on a hot day - it was like liquid gold.


La paella Valenciana

I couldn't come to the home of paella and not try it. There are many variations and bastardised takes on paella, so to sample it in the hot sun in a historic square in Valencia was my personal homage to the dish. Served traditionally with chicken and/or rabbit and green beens, Paella Valenciana is robust, tasty and very filling. It is the most representative dish of Valencian food, and at the same time is possibly the most famous of Spanish foods. Genuine paella is cooked with firewood and as you know, its main ingredient is rice. There are many variations and as I've said, not all so grand. It should be rustic, wholesome and lots of it. Washed down (in my case) with beer.


Tapas

Of course tapas comes high on my list and I love this style of eating. It's quick, efficient, varied and you can grab a bite of two and move on to the next joint. As my eyes are often bigger than my belly, I usually pick a pew, grab a plate full and then eat even more when the savvy waitresses pass by with the hot offerings.We ate in some great places including called El MolinĂ³n. It's a cider bar and restaurant. The waitress was a bit surly, but great tapas and Asturian cider. It was a revelation to me that Spain produces cider and is in fact a major producer of the beverage. It's potent and poured long and high. And only in short shots from the bottle. A great alternative to to beer or wine.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you like my video. A short recipe;one of the most representative spanish tapas: "gambas al ajillo" Enjoy!!
    https://vimeo.com/43809828

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...